I am not going to lie, I was blown away the first time I tried a variation of this recipe. I had saved it and put it in my recipe book nearly a year before I attempted making it, and boy do I regret not trying it sooner!
Since that first try, I have worked to refine, adapt, and change the dish to fit my preferences. For example, I am a huge fan of citrus-y flavors in dishes, such as lemon and lime (my guacamole recipe is chock full of lime!). So, I added a ton more lemon to this recipe than the original recipe called for (so be warned!).
This recipe is wonderful for any vegetarians looking for a soup that provides some protein. There are also some carbs in the soup, so it’ll leave you feeling full than a typical, less hearty soup would.
Vegetarian Lemon Chickpea Orzo Soup
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 30 min
- 2 cups carrots, finely chopped
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp garlic
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 6 cups veggie broth
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 cup orzo
- Juice of 1-2 lemons (depending on preference)
- Chop onion into bite-sized pieces. Peel and finely chop carrots.
- Add butter and oil to large pan or wok and melt butter over medium heat. Once melted, add carrots, onion, garlic, pepper, and salt.
- Cook for 7-10 minutes, stirring often. Onions should be transparent, and carrots should be soft.
- Add veggie broth and bring dish to a boil. Once boiling, add chickpeas and orzo to pan. Bring heat down to low and cover dish. Cook for another 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Orzo and chickpeas will cook fully in the liquid and veggies will become more tender.
- Once cooked, add lemon juice. I add a lot of lemon juice because I love the lemony taste of this dish, but feel free to add less lemon if you prefer!
- Serve this dish warm.
Check out my other recipes!
Do you like my content? Consider sharing to Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, or Twitter!
Every share, comment, like, and view helps me grow my blog so I can continue making great content for my audience!
Check out my Pinterest!